BRAILLE SIGN SPECIFICATIONS
SPECIFICATION D3.6 – BRAILLE AND TACTILE SIGNS
1 SCOPE: This specification sets out the requirements for the design and installation of Braille and tactile signage as required by D3.6
2 LOCATION OF BRAILLE AND TACTILE SIGNS
Signs including symbols, numbering and lettering shall be constructed and
installed as follows:
- (a) Braille and tactile components of a sign must be located not less than 1200mm and not higher than 1600mm above the floor or ground surface.
- (b) Signs with single lines of characters must have the line of tactile characters not less than 1250mm and not higher than 1350mm above the floor or ground surface.
- (c) Signs identifying rooms containing features or facilities
listed in D3.6 shall be located:
- i. on the wall on the latch side of the door with the leading edge of the sign shall be located between 50mm and 300mm from the architrave; and
- ii. where this is not possible, it may be placed on the door.
3 TACTILE/BRAILLE SIGN SPECIFICATION
- (a) Tactile characters must be raised or embossed to a height of no less than 1mm and no more than 1.5mm.
- (b) Sentence case (upper case for the first letter of each main word and lower case for all other letters) must be used for all tactile characters, and
- i. Upper case tactile characters must have a height of not less than 15mm and not more than 55mm; and
- ii. Lower case tactile characters must have a height of 50% of the related upper case characters.
- (c) Tactile characters, symbols, and the like, must have rounded edges.
- (d) The entire sign, including frame, must have rounded edges.
- (e) The background, negative space or fill of signs shall be of matte or low sheen finish.
- (f) The characters, symbols, logos and other features of signs must be matte or low sheen finish.
- (g) Minimum letter spacing of tactile characters on signs shall be 2mm.
- (h) Minimum word space of tactile characters on signs shall be 10mm.
- (i) Thickness of letter stroke must be no less than 2mm and no more than 7mm.
- (j) Tactile text must be left justified,except that single words may be centre justified
- (k) Tactile text must be Arial typeface.
Let us help you with your next braille project, we will be glad to assist.